Friday, May 11, 2012

Laundry Dryer Sheets vs. Wool Dryer Balls

I think I am really going to enjoy typing this post simply because I love my wool dryer balls!


Years ago someone had mentioned to me how dangerous laundry dryer sheets are and although I heard what they said and listened intently, I simply did not know what to do about that in my own life.  So, I kept using them.  Then, when my first child began potty training I no longer wanted to go out and purchase disposable diapers to be thrown away all day long and went ahead and purchased cloth diapers.  Well guess what?  You can't use cloth diapers with laundry dryer sheets.  Actually, you can't even use the dryer sheets in the dryer for other clothes because they coat the dryer and can in turn ruin the cloth diapers even though they were used in a different laundry load.  So I did the unthinkable; I cleaned my dryer out with mild soap and water and our family stopped using dryer sheets!  The good news was that I immediately noticed that my skin was not longer itchy (even though I had been using the free and clear dryer sheets), but I also immediately noticed that our clothes had more wrinkles, were not as soft and even a little stiff, and had AWFUL static!  For the next year and a half we put up with the negative side effects of not using the dryer sheets because we found out they they were far better than the negative effects of using the dryer sheets.  Plus, the cost adds up fast when you do as much laundry as our family.  Then, by the grace of God, we discovered wool dryer balls.  They get rid of static, cut drying time, soften clothes and can be used while drying cloth diapers!  Also, they last for years!

Have you ever read the ingredients of Laundry Dryer Sheets?  No, neither did I.  Let's take a look together at what they contain and how they work so you can decide what you want to do for your family.

Here is a short list of some of the ingredients found in the most popular laundry dryer sheets:
  • Benzyl Acetate: Linked to pancreatic cancer
  • Benzyl Alcohol: Upper respiratory tract irritant
  • Ethanol: On the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders
  • A-Terpineol: Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal edema, and central nervous system damage
  • Ethyl Acetate: A narcotic on the EPA's Hazardous Waste list
  • Camphor: Causes central nervous system disorders
  • Chloroform: Neurotoxic, anesthetic and carcinogenic
  • Linalool: A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders
  • Pentane: A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled
 How do dryer sheets work?  Well, when the dryer sheets are put into the dryer with laundry, the heat and moisture warm up the chemicals and spread those chemicals across the clothing.  The chemicals are designed to stay on the clothes for long periods of time, not leaving until the next time they are washed.  So when you wear that clothing your skin is absorbing those chemicals all day long, and your nose is breathing those chemical in.  Yikes! 

If you have sensitive skin or allergies (or simply desire to live a more chemical free life) you may consider an alternative.

As I mentioned above, it took my family quite some time to discover an alternative that was not also chemical laden, and we found that wool dryer balls was that answer for us.

Wool dryer balls are eco-friendly and chemical free.  Not only that, but you are supporting local farms when you use them.  We use 3 dryer balls in our dryer, but will be using 6 balls soon (we have large loads of laundry).  You can use anywhere from 2 to 10 dryer balls in your dryer to reach your desired effect.  The more you use the shorter your clothes drying time is, which also helps to cut down on electric/gas cost of running your dryer!  Your set of dryer balls will last for years to come, so no more expense having to purchase the same item over and over again.  They help eliminate static, soften clothes and reduce drying time.  And if you want a fragrence all you have to do is add a few drops of your favorite essential oils to the balls!

The only drawback is that velcro attaches to them and pulls at the wool, so I simply avoid using them with velcro items.

I have not found wool dryer balls in any store in my area, but rather order mine online here at Farm Fresh Fiber.  Oh, and wool dryer balls are NOT the same as the plastic or rubber dryer balls in the grocery; those are full of chemicals also!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Maybe your questions and ideas will be featured next!