Thursday, May 17, 2012

Combat Allergies with Essential Oils

Indoor, Outdoor and Seasonal Allergies are yuck!  They can make us downright miserable, and other than prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, or simply suffering is there anything else we can do? 

Well, yes, there may be another option.  Have you tried therapeutic grade essential oils?  There are actually quite a few essential oils that can help with the symptoms of those pesky allergies, and some oils can even help to ward off the allergies completely if used at the right time. 

German chamomile, wintergreen, lavender, Roman chamomile and peppermint are all essential oil recommendations for allergies (plus many more oil blends).  Let me tell you some of my family's experiences, and my new favorite way to combat allergies once they hit.

One of the great things about essential oils is that they can be used anywhere and anytime.  If you feel like you need more you can apply more!  One of the things my family tries to keep in mind is prevention, but with a busy lifestyle and two kids sometimes we forget.  My husband gets awful itchy eyes and nose after mowing the lawn or going on a nature walk, but if we use preventative measures he can usually avoid those symptoms all together, or greatly reduce them.  I created a special blend of extra virgin olive oil, lavender, peppermint and just a hint of frankincense and put it in a roller bottle just for my husband.  Before he goes out to do yard work I have him roll those oils around the bony part of his eyes and on the bridge of his nose.  I also have him inhale them deeply.  If we forget to have him do that before yard work he will do several applications after yard work to help with the allergy symptoms.  He actually prefers his oils full strength, so sometimes he will just take peppermint and inhale deeply (caution, this will burn!). 

The kids sometimes get a bit of runny nose or itchy eyes, and I like to use RC and Breathe Again on them.  I use diluted RC around the bony part of their eyes and on the bridge of their little noses (or sometimes I just use lavender)  I also use Breathe Again Roll On, and it is great!  I put the Breathe Again on their chest and on the bottom of their toes and arch of the foot.  It works wonders for my little boy!

As for myself, I use all of the above!  Just whichever one sounds like it will feel the best at that time.  But I have discovered a new way to halt my ugly allergy symptoms and I LOVE it.  If I am already suffering and need relief I will place a drop of Lavender under my tongue (kind of bitter tasting) and allow it to soak in, and then I will place a drop of peppermint on the tip of my tongue and press it to the roof of my mouth!  I use both oils full strength, and it works great for me; after only two applications I have not yet needed to reapply. 

Do you use Essential Oils?  Comment below on what works for you!

*Oils used above and oil blends mentioned above all come from Young Living Essential Oils.  If you need to order or sign up feel free to use my number 1069772.*

**These statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Maybe your questions and ideas will be featured next!