Friday, February 19, 2010

It's WHAT!!!!

Some of you know that I have this rash/burn like thing on my right hand. Then all of a sudden my face started doing something similar with patchy, itchy, slightly swollen 'stuff', but no burn spots. I thought it was a combination of contact dermatitis that turned into an environmental burn and eczema all in one. I was partially correct and partially incorrect.

I had some people pray over my hand and face on Sunday and had started seeing drastic improvement, but Wednesday evening and Thursday morning it looked WORSE. It started spreading and my had was slightly swollen-ugg. So I decided it was time to go to the doctor. Every dermatologist I called was booked through the end of March or early April, and I thought just in case this is something serious I better go somewhere. I called my GP and got in immediately. She has been my GP since I was like 14 or 15 years old, so she is AWESOME and really knows my history.

The nurse went through the usual weight, temperature and blood pressure routine. When she took my temperature it was 98.4* which is about a degree and a half high for me; curious. Then my blood pressure which she said looked GREAT was also a little high for me (mine is usually pretty low on the normal scale). Tale tale signs that 'something' is going on.

When the doc came in I told her my story and with one look she new EXACTLY what was wrong. I was correct in the fact that is started off as contact dermatitis, but what was the diagnosis??? Staph Infection! That's right, a staph infection. Good news, it doesn't look like the MRSA (resistant staph) and we can knock this thing out in 10-days. Bad news, high dose of antibiotic 4 times a day for 10-days and a crazy steroid pack for 6-days. She was pretty funny when she told me the treatment because she knows I DON'T LIKE medication. She started off by telling me that we can get this fixed up, but don't get mad, I have to be on antibiotics and steroids. Then she followed up by telling me to TAKE EVERYTHING. She knows I always do following the directions, but yuck!!! I suppose it is alright because I have not been sick, to the doctor or on medications for almost 3-years now. I suppose once in 3-years is alright. :)

So, here is to getting ALL BETTER.

(oh, and I have a picture on my camera, but my camera is acting up. I will post if I can get it off of there and onto here.)

3 comments:

  1. When I started reading about the rash and stuff, I was thinking maybe it was ringworm, just because of your post title. :) But staph! Yikes! Def take all your meds, even if you don't like them. I totally understand that mentality, esp since I don't always follow all the directions, even though it's not because I don't like meds, just not directions. :) Hope it clears up soon!! And since you're on steroids, let's do arm wrestling next time I see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what?!?! no way, so sorry to hear that! and you thought it was just something from your plant? i will definitely be praying and i hate antibiotics too, but there is a place for them and THIS IS IT! take lots of pro-biotics which i know you know after you are done and you will be set! love you!~kellyc

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am taking probiotic AFTER my antibiotics. The meds are so strong right now that I think they would just kill the probiotics before they did any good.

    As for ringworm...that was my third guess. As this progressed I thought contact dermatitis and chemical burn, then maybe severe eczema, then ring worm. I did allow for staph to enter my mind for just a fleeting moment but pushed it out becasu I DID NOT WANT THAT. Oops, I suppose that one was correct. 48 hours into the meds and all my swelling is gone and the yuck is getting better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Maybe your questions and ideas will be featured next!