Thursday, September 10, 2009

Terrible Two's

Can a child go through the Terrible Two's early?

Seriously!?!??!?

From the time she was born Mackenzie has always been very even tempered and did not get upset easily, but that has changed as dramatically as switching a light switch from OFF to ON in the middle of the night.

Just over a week ago now Mackenzie began throwing tantrums. Not just little, "Umm, I'm upset" things, but full out throwing herself onto the floor, kicking and screaming. And she will not quit, no matter what I do, for anywhere from two minutes to an hour straight. And better yet, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the tantrums. I am not telling her, "NO" or stopping her from doing something. I am not refusing a request or ignoring her. Actually, I spend most of my time just giving her love and care and concern as I always have and in the middle of doing something as simple as walking down the hall she will visibly become mad and throw herself on to the floor. The rest is history. I can talk to her, offer her various things (toys, snacks, drink, hugs, kisses, read book, go potty...), I ask her to tell me or sign what she wants, and NOTHING works. She simply has to get it out of her system. Then, when she is finished, she is happy as a lark; almost as if nothing ever happened. And, this happens 2, 3, 4, 5 and even 6 times a day! Uggg.

I really do hope this IS the Terrible Two's because that means there is an end in sight, and maybe she will be done with this stage of life BEFORE the other kids start their terrible two's, or before she is 18 years of age; whichever comes first.

For now, I just have to love her through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Maybe your questions and ideas will be featured next!