Thursday, September 24, 2009

Reaching New Heights

Yesterday was a day of 'Reaching New Heights' for Mackenzie. Well, also for Wayne and I considering how Mackenzie reached those heights.

This far in her one and a half years of life, Mackenzie has shown no interest in climbing or jumping off of pretty much anything. That is one reason I have been comfortable with leaving her bed in crib stage for now. All of this came to a screeching halt yesterday when I stepped into the study for just a moment and when I walked out there was my daughter standing backwards on one of our dining room chairs playing with our golden window treatments. Of coarse, this horrified me and I wanted to say something to her, but I didn't want to scare her and cause her to fall, so I did the next best thing. I ran and got my camera. I took a few pictures then I took her down off the chair and explained to her that chairs are for sitting not standing.

Well, all day she kept trying to climb up on her glider or the sofa or her car that holds her block on the exercise ball...you name it, she tried it. Uggg.

So because of how tall she is and this new found interest in climbing I thought it must be time to covert her bed to the toddler setting. So that is what I did, and much to my disgust and dismay this was MUCH WORSE than the crib setting. First, for an 18-month old the toddler rail looks like it needs to be at least 4 inches higher (right now it is only about 2.5 or 3 inches higher than the mattress). She could just roll right over that rail at her age. I think a two an a half or three year old would be just fine in the toddler bed setting, but eighteen months? Hum? But that is not the bad part. As soon as Mackenzie saw her 'new bed' she climbed up on it and began RUNNING up and down the mattress and giggling. Very unsteady and ready to plummet head first into the toddler rail or the floor. I was so horrified that I changed her bed back to the crib setting and am going to wait on the toddler setting until she is older. So YES DOCTOR...I am waiting. Mackenzie seems to think that in the crib setting she is not allowed to climb out or act crazy. She simply accepts the bed for what it is and sleeps in it and waits for us to come get her when she wakes up.

So that was our day yesterday. How was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Maybe your questions and ideas will be featured next!