Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wisdom Wednesday - The Retreat

Scripture in Dining Hall

This Wednesday I decided to post two tips.  The first one was about coconut oil, but this one will talk about health in a completely different light.  Taking care of yourself emotionally, mentally and spiritually.  Health comes from many different aspects of life, not just what you put into your body through your mouth.  Our health is also effected by what we put into our minds, how we deal with our emotions, whether or not we take care of our spirit man, and also by stopping and getting away emotionally.  Don't get me wrong, I spend time with God and in ministry, but do I ever just get away for me?  No.

This past weekend I was given the opportunity to go on a Women's Retreat at our church.  I use to do this annually (starting in my youth group days), but the last one I had taken was 6 years ago before my first child was born!  Having taken the time out to go retreat again this year made me realize how much I really needed it, and not just this one time, but on a regular basis.  I need to spend time with just me, just other women, and just God to recharge, fill back up and rest so I can come home and be the best wife, mom, daughter, friend and minister that I can be.  Not only that, but this retreat gave my husband and I the idea to begin the weaning process from my son.  No, I did not believe that after only two days gone he would be completely weaned, but I did expect that he would not have 'mommy milk' any more.  So....drum roll please...Micah has been 'mommy milk-free' since Friday at noon; 4 days now.  Yes, he still asks for it, but thus far I have been able to use other comfort measures.  So a retreat can also be used to kick start a new stage of life!

Some highlights from the retreat:

 The topic or theme of the retreat was four one hour sessions about the sisters Mary and Martha (brother Lazarus) in the Bible.  We all know these stories, but they were presented in a new and fresh way directly from the potter's wheel by Carole Wolaver aka The Pottery Lady.

 Picture of Carole and her husband Wayne.
 
Pottery she made the last session still on the potters wheel.
 
Pottery from the first couple of sessions.  The small jars are tear bottles!
 
The pitcher on the top left was the first piece she made during her presentation.  It looked just like a vase and we all thought it was complete until with just one touch of a finger it became a pitcher.  It was so amazing and profound that the entire room did a quite gasp in unison.  That is just like God.  He creates us as a vase to learn the function of holding water, then with just one touch He turns us into a pitcher to pour ourselves out for others!
 
These are completed tear bottles.  I think they are beautiful, and no larger than your hand.  The scriptures inside the scrolls are: Psalm 56:8, "You number my watering's; put my tears into Your bottle; are they not in Your book?" and Revelation 21:4 "And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying.  There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."  I think this is a great gift for anyone grieving anything, and even for an emotional child so they can use it for a visual when upset.
 
This young lady, Lauren, started be.the.joy ministries that helps young girls in Uganda go to school and have a better life.  She sells the heartbead jewelry the ladies make out of old magazines to raise the funds.
 
Here is a necklace and bracelet made by the Ugandan women.
 
Here is a close up, can you see the edges of the magazine paper that creates the beads?  Who ever thought to recycle magazines into beautiful beads!
 
 I took part in the local mission ministry made available during the retreat.  We made Martha & Mary dry soup packages filled with all the ingredients, love and prayer to make a hearty meal.  These will go to our churches Care Ministry to be given out to families in times of need.  I made the bag you see above along with another one.  I believe 50 packages were made in total!
 
 Do you see that tree with the cross in front of it?  Do you see the ribbons on the tree?  That was our prayer tree for the weekend.  Various colored ribbons were made available the entire weekend for women to go select, sit at Jesus' feet, pray and then attach the ribbon to the tree as an act of giving it to the Lord.  Each colored ribbon represented a different thing.  When completed it was a really beautiful sight to behold.
 

I really enjoy nature, actually that is when I feel closest to God and to who I truly am.  This tree had ferns growing all over it.  Breathtaking.
 

 Part of the lake and view at the retreat.
 
 A group of ladies assembled approximately 140+ of these bags in yellow, green and pink.  One for each lady at the retreat filled with information and love!
 
Another lady made these notebooks (front and back) with a friend for all 140+ ladies!  They were beautiful.
 

Do you allow yourself time to get away and grow closer to God?  Are you the clay in the potters hands?  What is He creating you to be?  What are you now and what will the finished product look like?  That is true health!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Maybe your questions and ideas will be featured next!