Friday, February 8, 2013

Food Friday - Orange Chicken

Recipe of the Week - Orange Chicken

Please excuse my lack of pictures and exact measurements, but I sort of create my meals as I go, and they typically turn out wonderful.  This was one such instance and we ate it ALL before I remembered to take a picture.

This is my homemade, healthy version of orange chicken.

Orange Chicken

Ingredients:
Coconut oil for cooking and coating the pan (you can substitute butter, olive oil, avocado oil)
1 tsp Organic Soy Sauce (or more if you like, but watch your sodium)
2 cloves garlic - minced
1-2 tablespoons julianne orange peel (or zest if you prefer)
1 package Organic/All Natural chicken tenders
1/4 onion diced
1 large carrot - I used a potato peeler to get the long thing strips I wanted
Various Veggies - I had beet tops and baby kale on hand so that is what I used.  (Other ideas would be bell pepper, peas, potato, tomato, mushrooms, zucchini, squash...)
1 cup uncooked brown or white rice (could use Bulgar or quinoa)


How To Prepare:

1. Put start cooking rice per package instructions (usually 1 cup dry rice per 2 cups water, bring to boil, cover with lid and simmer 20 minutes for white rice or 40 minutes for brown rice.  Turn off heat and allow to rest 5 minutes.)

2. Heat skillet over medium heat add coconut oil, soy sauce, minced garlic and thinly sliced/zested orange peel. 

3. While step #2 is caramelizing dice onion and add to pan.

4. While step #3 is caramelizing cube chicken and add to pan, allow chicken to brown (approx. 10 minutes).

5. Add carrots and 'other' veggies to saute a few minutes. Remember to add greens last just to wilt a minute.

6. Serve over rice and enjoy!

We all ate this up really fast.  You may consider serving along side some Asian soup or a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Maybe your questions and ideas will be featured next!