Friday, February 1, 2013

Food Friday - Blue Banana Smoothie

I am going to attempt to start a new blog tradition...Food Friday's Recipe of the Week.  So every Friday, if I am able to keep up, I will post a new easy and healthy recipe that either my family enjoys, or that was submitted by you, my readers.  Feel free to leave recipes in the comments section, or try this one out and let us know what you think! 

My friend Katy sent this wonderful smoothie recipe for us to try.  I truly enjoy smoothies, and so do my kids.  They are a great way to increase your fiber and fruit intake, to stay hydrated, and to hide some of those 'greens' that family may otherwise avoid!  I also like to take my smoothies and pour them into Popsicle moulds as a special treat for later. 

Katy's Blue Banana Smoothie

1/2 banana
Cup of frozen blueberries
Enough unsweetened vanilla almond milk to cover banana and blueberries in the blender (I would probably use coconut milk)

Then I add in what's on hand or what I think I need - a handful of fresh baby spinach (you can't taste it) or a few big spoonfuls of oatmeal, or about 1/3 block of lite tofu. 

No ice needed. It's also dairy free and low sugar (not low carb, especially if you add oatmeal)

So go blend yourself a tall smoothie, make enough to share with the entire family, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Maybe your questions and ideas will be featured next!