Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Little Monkey

Sometimes I wonder if Mackenzie is part monkey.  OK, not really, but recently she has taken to climbing.  Most of her friends started climbing a long time ago...maybe even a year ago, but not Mackenzie.  Within the past 2 months she has begun to climb EVERYTHING.  She now gets up and stands on all of our kitchen chairs, bar stools, her rocker, the sofa and anything else she wants.  So all day long I am taking her down to which she responds by throwing a 45 minute tantrum then goes right back and does it again.  Ugg. 

Not only that, but she REFUSES to walk anywhere.  She must be carried.  Even to go to the potty.  Well, guess what?  Mommy is pregnant and only getting bigger, so carrying around a 36-pound 2-year old is out of the question.  What does that mean for potty training?  Cloth diapers all day long and tricking her into sitting on the potty when we happen to be near the bathroom. 

Also, if it is not hers she wants it.  She has broken so many things lately.  I think I am going to have to take everything off the walls in her room because she is so tall that she gets up on her rocker and takes them down herself; then breaks them. 

Oh, and get this.  If she is done eating all the food and drink get THROWN onto the floor.  Not even Mommy reflexes are fast enough to catch that mess in thin air.  And, if some of the food or drink is in her mouth...you guessed it...she spits it out wherever she stands; usually waiting until she is standing on our carpet. 

No, I'm really not trying to complain, but this is what you have to look forward to if you haven't had a 2-year old yet.  What really amazes me is how much you can still love and cherish someone or something that is acting like they don't like you most of the time.  No, it is not all bad, and somehow I am pretty patient through it all and just try to love and talk her through what is going on.  When she wants to be sweet she is really sweet and gives out tons of kisses and hugs.  The thing is she wants to do what she wants to do, when she wants to do it, and no one else is going to tell her otherwise.  I will be happy when this stage is over and we can go out in public again. 

So, any tips you have for the Terrible Two's just let me hear them.  I will try just about anything (that's not harmful) at this point.  Any good tips on how to start a time out routine?  We may be trying that next.

2 comments:

  1. Have you read Touchpoints by Brazelton? I remember that one being very helpful at giving perspective on the two's.
    ~Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a hard time! I will say that! And you're right (I don't remember whether you said it in this post or another one) when you said that no matter what they're doing, you love them, but it's tough. I think that persevering is probably the best thing--talking through it but also disciplining whenever needed and being consistent. I think sometimes the discipline part and sticking to it is harder than just letting them do what they want. I think this will pass, but it's a time of growing for us and them! I'm much more thankful for the good times now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Maybe your questions and ideas will be featured next!