Friday, March 1, 2013

Food Friday - Inspirational Food

Food comes in all different forms.  There is junk food, healthy food, food from God.  There is solid food, liquid food, spiritual food, mental food, emotional food, food that is just good for the soul.  Today, instead of reading what I have to say, I want to share with you the inspirational story of a friend of mine that just competed a 21 day juice fast.  You will read his why, how and what story of the fast.  Click here and enjoy!

Picture from 80 Breakfasts
I used the above picture as inspiration, but did not follow the recipe or make the yogurt...since I was making a vegan meal.

Roasted Eggplant with Sweet potato and Beans:

Ingredients:
1 eggplant
Sweet potatoes
Onion
mushrooms
Swiss Chard
Pinto beans
Minced Garlic (1-2 cloves)
Coconut Oil
Kosher salt

First I cut the eggplant in half long ways then scored the white flesh diagonally both directions being careful not to cut through the purple skin.  Brush on a little olive oil or coconut oil and sprinkle with a little kosher salt.  Place on baking sheet skin side down  and put in a preheated 350* oven for 45 minutes.  Once roasted this is our Main dish.  Just scoop out the eggplant squared with a spoon...yumm!

While the eggplant is baking I prepare my steamer and cut the sweet potato in 1 inch rounds and steam on high for about 20-25 minutes.  This is our 'veggie' part of the dinner.

While those two are going I prepare a skillet with a little coconut oil, minced garlic (I like a lot), and a little kosher salt.  I then sautee' the onions, mushrooms, Swiss chard and pinto beans.  This is our warm salad part of dinner.

Try to time everything to finish cooking together, serve up warm and enjoy. 


PS - Don't throw away any leftover eggplant or the skin.  Next Friday I will show you how to make a good dip/spread with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Maybe your questions and ideas will be featured next!