Friday, June 29, 2012

Mother Nature

No, I'm not talking about the earth here, but rather I am talking about the nature of Mother's...or at least my nature.

Most of the time I would like to think of myself as patient, kind, helpful, lovely, self-controlled, fun, teaching and teachable, loving, tenderhearted and other wonderful Mom-like qualities when it comes to my kiddos, but every now and then that old ugly nature truly desires to rear it's ugly head. 

This morning, for example, my daughter refused to share with her brother.  After brining him to tears over and over again for no reason I finally decided that her toy was either going to be shared or go in the trash (yes, there was other, more rational intervention prior to this event).  Of coarse that brought not only my daughter to tears, but also my son who hates to see his sister cry.  Being the melodramatic daughter that she is (and I was also as a girl) she just cried and cried and wouldn't even listn to her options.  After attempting to explain her options to her for the tenth time (1. share nicely and keep the toy or 2. don't share and the toy is lost forever to the trashcan) without her listening I found my less than beautiful 'Mother Nature' trying to come through. 

So many ugly thoughts crossed through my mind.  Thoughts like, just throw the toy away; who cares what she thinks.  Or, just spank her and get it over with.  Or, you know you should just lock her in her room to cry for the rest of the day.  Uggg.  I mean really?  Where do these thoughts come from?  And why are they so tempting?  Any thoughts?  Do any of you Mom's struggle with thought vs. action on occasion?  Or possibly even regret an action after it has been taken?  Human nature.  It truly is Christ to die to self on a daily basis, and I sure am glad I have HIM to cling on to in these less than glorious moments of Momhood.

Yes, we finally reached a resolution.  I was finally able to get her to look me in the eye and list her choices (she choose to share), and all without spanking, throwing away or locking in of the room. 

Do these look like trouble makers to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Maybe your questions and ideas will be featured next!