Friday, June 15, 2012

Cleaning With Essential Oils



Last night I had the privilege of attending a Cleaning with Essential Oils class lead by Adryan Dupre (see her Getting Started with Essential Oils post here) at the Katy Birth Center.  I have always truly enjoyed cleaning with essential oils in my own home, and with great success I typically used the Young Living Thieves Household Cleaner product.  I like options, science, creating, learning and essential oils; so I decided it would be a great idea to learn how to properly make my own cleaning products using essential oils.  I enjoyed the class so much that I pulled out some of my old essential oil recipes for various means (lotions, salves, cleaning, insect repellent...) and will be doing a short essential oil 'recipie' series soon.

I came home from the class with a small All Purpose Cleaner, small Soft Scrub for Kitchen/Bath, and a small Floor Cleaner (see recipes below along with the Wood Floor Cleaner).  My favorite part of the class is a toss up between making the cleaners (I love chemistry, although not necessary for this project) and smelling new oils (although I own most of the oils that were available, there were a few new to me)!

Another thing to note is that these cleaners are typically harmless to humans, and the essential oils are very beneficial.  So I would consider these safe to use around all people, kids and pets; contrary to most chemical cleaners that are full of warning labels and harsh compounds.  Plus, these homemade cleaners are very cost effective!

Here are some of the 'KEYS' to making your own cleaner:

1. Store in a glass bottle or jar if possible because essential oils are very strong and will eventually eat through plastic.  Use an amber or dark colored bottle when available.

2. Store away from direct sunlight.  This will help the oils to maintain their properties, and the cleaning products will last for ages!

3. Use oils that you enjoy the fragrance of since you will be using these cleaners in your home.

4. Use oils with good anti fungal, antiviral, antibacterial properties (although most any oil will work).  Lemon, Peppermint, Pine and all the Citrus' are highly recommended.

5.  You can mix and match oils (I will tell you what I used in my own jars!), so feel free to change it up with each batch you make. 

6. 15 oz bottle of essential oil yields approximately 250 drops, so when you see the recipes you will find that you can make several batches of cleaner from one bottle of E.O.

7. These make great gifts! 

Alright, now that you are on board let's get down to the recipes.


All Purpose Cleaner

My Lemon & Citrus Bliss
All Purpose Cleaner


Yields ~ 2 1/4 cups or 36 ounces

1 teaspoon Borax
2 cups Water
1/4 cup Vinegar
30 drops Essential Oils

(I used about half and half of Lemon and Citrus Bliss essential oils.  I have already used this to clean my counter tops and LOVE it.)

*Remember: Oil and water don't mix, so lightly shake before using!*

 







Soft Scrub Kitchen/Bath


My Lemon & Eucalyptus
Soft Scrub
Yields ~ 1 cup or 16 ounces
(feel free to make a larger batch)

Mix in a glass or stainless steel bowl
3/4 cup Baking Soda
1/4 cup Castile Soap or Sal Suds (can find in store with natural cleaning products)
1 Tablespoon Water
1 Tablespoon Vinegar
5-10 drops Essential Oils

(I used about 2/3 Lemon and 1/3 Eucalyptus oils...it smells heavenly.)




Floor Cleaner


My Grapefruit, On-Guard
& Frankincense
Floor Cleaner

Yields ~ 1 cup or 16 ounces of solution

Use 2 oz of solution in a gallon of water to clean floor

1/4 cup Castile Soap or Sal Suds
1/4 cup Vinegar
1/2 cup Water
30 drops Essential Oil

(I used Grapefruit, On-Guard and Frankincense)

*Remember: Oil and water don't mix, so lightly shake before using!*

 

 




Wood Floor Cleaner

1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup Vinegar
10 drops Essential Oils

(Sorry, no picture of the wood floor cleaner...I don't have wood floors!)

You can purchase glass bottles/jars from you local craft or hardware store, or check out these links:
http://www.abundanthealth4u.com/
http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.aspx

Alright, now go out there and make some non-toxic and beneficial cleaning product.  Here's to a happy, healthy and more natural home!

To order DoTerra oils click here
To order Young Living oils click here and use member #1069772 (if outside the US click here)

1 comment:

  1. These are great, thanks! I'm just starting to do things like make my own products or use more natural things and your blog is such a good resource!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Maybe your questions and ideas will be featured next!