Friday, February 20, 2009

Gardening

Many of you may or may not know this, but I LOVE to have a vegetable garden. I am by no means very good at this type of gardening, as my plants don't seem to ever produce much fruit (except the cucumbers and cherry tomatoes), but the fruit they do produce always tastes WONDERFUL.

I have not had my garden in two years and have decided to have one this year. I am soooo excited. I already have various seeds in the ground and 6 tomato plants planted. Now I am just waiting to finish off our other garden bed with dirt, peppers, squash and zucchini.

This year I am doing things differently than in years past. I am planning and researching. A LOT of research. I have studied the various plants I am wanting to grow (light, water, soil type, how to stake or not stake the plant, harvesting...). I have also done research on how to get rid of pests in the garden without using chemicals that are so bad for us. And considering I have a baby I do not want to be using harmful chemicals anyway.

I have learned that planting marigolds in with the garden keeps certain pests away; like the dreaded tomato horn caterpillar. I have also discovered that having petunias, geranium and the like near the garden attract ladybugs that eat the pest and bees that help pollinate. Oh, and the dreaded bird. Well, simply having a birdbath with clean water nearby keeps the birds off the veggies. Who knew? Now I just need to figure out a way to buy marigolds, a hanging basket of petunias, a hanging basket of geraniums and a birdbath.

Oh, and this year I am adding tons of prayer to my garden. Afterall, God created all of these things in the first place. He is the best 'gardener' I know.

As my garden takes shape and begins to produce I will post pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Hi... I can't wait to get in my garden, though the soil here in Pennsylvania is still rock hard.

    Have you tried any natural pesticides? I found a recipe for a water/cayenne pepper spray that works great on bugs.

    And, with your tomatoes, what are you going to use to stake them up? Ive tried everything from metal cages (they fall over and break the branches) and that flimsy bamboo. I'm using a new product this season, found it at thetomatostake.com Its a plastic stake with built-in support ties... ordered 5 and cant wait to get dirty!

    Enjoy! and many prayers for a plentiful harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually going to use tree stakes with clothes line running between them. Since I have a small garden I will only need 6 tree stakes and I will tie the line at intervals up the stakes (my tree stakes are flat iron with vertical holes every two inches).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Maybe your questions and ideas will be featured next!